Thursday, April 1, 2010

Trevy Fountain and.... Pantheon?

Today we had a free day. we could do whatever we wanted to do, so we didn't get up until ten o'clock and went to a cafe for breakfast. I had a ham and cheese panini and decided to order the hot chocolate again to see what would happen. It was more like regular hot chocolate this time except very thick. Next we walked by the Pantheon again. This time there was a band playing out front and inside people were allowed to walk under the ocular and there was much more light thanks to the bright sun and it was also much less crowded, very nice.
Next we went to the Trevy Fountain. there is a believe around Trevy Fountain that says that if you throw one coin in the fountain you will come back to Rome at some point, if you throw two coins in the fountain you will fall in love, and if you throw three coins in the fountain you will not return to Rome. I don't really believe in that kind of thing though and I was starting to run out money so I did not throw one in.
Next we went and saw the ruins of an ancient Roman theater where Julias Ceaser was rumored to have been murdered. It was in a large hole in the ground with a wall around it. It was also at these ruins where I had my first encounter with the cats of Rome. The cats of Rome are very interesting, they are feral cats but they are just as nice as any house cat. They are fed and sanitized by the city and they will let you walk right up to them and pet them. The little dot that I zoom in on in the video is a cat by the way.
Next we tried to go see a painting that was in a church but there was a huge political rally in the way. there were police there and everything. We tried to get through the crowd at first but soon decided to turn back.

On the way back to the convent we walked by the tomb of Augustus. It was actually nearly overgrown by plants but some restoration work had been started on it. I also found a two euro coin on the street although I did not know it until we got back to the convent because it was really dirty. I used the two euro coin to pay at dinner. I was actually surprised that they took it because a good amount of the dirt would not come off. Speaking of euros, by now my roommate Lane had accumulated a collection of every representation of Italian money from the one cent coin to the twenty euro bill and he let me take a picture of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment